When we talk about moving Arizona health innovations forward faster, a natural question is “What are Arizona health innovators working on?”
Arizona Health Innovations in Development Today
Screening is a tool that we use to detect the potential for disease and is key to early detection. Diagnostics provide medical professionals with the information they need to diagnose a condition and treat a patient.
- Diagnostic for ALS, MS, and other neurological conditions
- A rapid diagnostic for HPV
- Improved diagnostics for Valley Fever
- Blood testing products designed to provide neurologists with critical data that can be useful in diagnosis, monitoring, and assessing therapeutics response.
- A rapid diagnostic for sepsis
Drugs and Biologics help us to manage, treat, and cure disease. Vaccines help us to prevent the disease from occurring in the first place.
- A Cancer Vaccine
- New medicines to prevent heart attacks and strokes
- A drug for Valley Fever and other fungal diseases
- A drug to treat life-threatening diseases where hypoxia plays a role including cancer and stroke.
- A biologic to address the inflammation symptomatic of autoimmune diseases
- A biologic to reduce lung inflammation
- Cell therapies to treat debilitating injuries through accelerated regeneration of tissue and bone
- Vaccines for bacterial infections starting with ear infections in children.
Medical devices benefit patients by helping health care providers diagnose and treat patients and helping patients overcome sickness or disease, improving their quality of life. Tools provide researchers, developers, and clinicians with the information they need for better decision making.
- A therapeutic device to treat Alzheimer’s Disease using electromagnetic waves
- A patch that can repair heart damage
- An incubator for babies with jaundice that is not much larger than a computer tablet
- A device that helps patients with Hydrocephalus
- A device which significantly improves Intraocular Pressure (IOP) measurement data
- A mobile metabolism tracker that measures an individual’s metabolism through breathing
- A tool for the analysis of protein function that supports research and development of new drugs, biomarkers, personalized medicine and more.
- A virtual patient treatment planning center in which medical procedures are planned before treatment and medical devices are tested before patient exposure,
- A cold chain custody and storage solution which aims to increase survival rates in challenging and remote medical environments by expanding the portability of blood, blood components, vaccines, pharmaceuticals, and organc
Information Technologies play an important role across the healthcare spectrum including helping us better understand health conditions, helping to develop new heath innovations, helping health professionals to provide better care, and helping all of us to better manage our own health.
- A teleheath solution combined with artificial intelligence to triage patients in the clinic
- Online tools to help doctors identify and diagnose different forms of epilepsy
- Online tools that monitor the health of seniors living at home
- Online tools that reduce cognitive decline in aging brains.
- A software platform that transforms a cell phone or tablet into a powerful, high quality ultrasound device.
- New tools that help Alzheimer’s caregivers cope and provide better care for patients.
Future Opportunities - Arizona's Discovery Pipeline
- A blood based test for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Genomics tests to help physicians select the best treatment options for patients with advanced cancer
- A non-invasive test for patients with traumatic brain injury
- Tests for the early detection of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and cervical cancer
- Tests to help determine if people have been exposed to bioterrorism threats or pathogens
- The first nontoxic therapy to treat primary tumors and metastasis, which can be a lead, combination and safe long-term therapy for cancer
- Tumor infiltrating T-cells to fight cancer
- A biologic for the treatment of asthma and lung disease
- Novel, non-opioid treatments for acute and chronic pain
- Treatments for metabolic disease including obesity and type-2 diabetes
- Cell therapies for wound healing, spinal cord injuries, Alzheimer’s disease and cancer.
- Better vaccines to help control the spread of infectious diseases
- Tissue like coating for biomedical implants
- A tool to image brain hyoptension (low pressure in the brain)
- A computer aided surgical trainer
- Devices to enhance motor recovery in stroke patients and to reverse the impacts of brain disease and injury
- Devices to replace damaged organs temporarily or permanently
- Tools to identify dangerous drug interactions and support safer prescribing
- Using Artificial Intelligence to help physicians treat patients
- Harnessing big data to bring new treatments to market faster so that patients who need them can benefit